Jump Start on CPD 2018
Monday, March 5, 2018
9:00 am – 4:00 pm via webinar
(Original date: October 20, 2017)
Who should attend: Real estate and tax law practitioners of all experience levels. This course may also be of interest to notaries, paralegals, and legal support staff.
Learning level: All levels
Real estate holdings and transactions carry significant tax burdens imposed under complex legislation. Beyond simply raising revenue, governments increasingly use taxes on realty as means for pursuing policy goals. Property law is complicated enough with the result that practitioners all too frequently overlook the impact of the taxes on their transactions. But in the real estate sector, where transaction values are high, the taxes can add up quickly. How does one respond when the client looks to the law firm for advice on the potential pitfalls or savings in relation to transaction taxes?
This course will provide an overview of important current issues relating to the application of Goods and Services Tax (GST), Provincial Sales Tax (PST), Foreign Buyers Tax, and Vancouver’s Empty Homes Tax when advising in connection with residential real estate matters.
After taking this course you will:
- understand the system of GST rules applicable to residential real property, both in terms of charging tax and recovering tax through input tax credits and rebates
- understand the significance of standard GST forms used in real estate transactions and the significance of the representations contained therein
- understand how PST applies to residential construction
- be familiar with current Foreign Buyers Tax and Vancouver’s Empty Homes Tax issues in the area of residential real estate
CLEBC would like to thank Stewart Title for their generous support in sponsoring this event.
Law Society of BC CPD Hours: 6 hours (a minimum of 1.25 hour will involve professional responsibility and ethics, client care and relations, and/or practice management)
Terry G. Barnett — Thorsteinssons LLP, Vancouver
Save even more with your CPDone Pass.
Registration includes an electronic copy of the course materials.
Please note: The CPD hours of the rebroadcast may differ from the CPD hours of the original, live program.
Jump Start on CPD 2018
Register by Feb 5
After Feb 5
|Webinar Rebroadcast Student
Webinar Archive: This course will be added to the Webinar Archive. See below to subscribe.
SPECIAL GROUP RATES! Plus-one pricing!
Gather around one computer and SAVE on Webinar/Rebroadcast costs. Pay full price for the first registration and have each additional viewer join you for only $149 per day. If you are taking advantage of plus-one pricing and your group webinar includes at least one lawyer, the first registration must be at the lawyer rate. Contact Customer Service for more info
Unable to attend without financial support? Learn more about CLEBC's Bursary Program and Easy Pay Plan.
Can't make the course/webinar?
1. Order the Online Course Materials* — an archive of all CLEBC papers published since 2001.
2. Subscribe to the Webinar Archive* — a repository of recordings of most CLEBC past courses.
*Annual subscription rates for both above options are based on firm size.
CLEBC Program Lawyer